Thursday, April 16, 2015

Real Stories

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - Merchandiser Injury

Description of Incident: While at my last stop of the day, I was working on the pallet when I twisted my back from left to right while stretching out to the shelf with product in hand.

States Involved in this Incident: Fatigue, Complacency
Why? After working all the other stores, I was tired. I started working on the bottom shelf and twisted my back without thinking.

Errors that Increased the Risk of this Incident: Mind Not On Task
I lift boxes all day long and at times, I don't think about what I'm doing.

What Critical Error Reduction techniques could have been used to prevent his incident?
Self-trigger on the state (or the amount of hazardous energy) so you don't make a critical error.
Be sure that I'm always working in a safe manner and keep your mind on task.

First Recordable Injury in Lehigh Valley for 2015: Acute Back Strain



February 11, 2015
Description of Incident: I had six crates of 20 oz soda fall off the hand cart and smash on the floor.
What were the States and Errors?
Rushing, Complacency
Eyes/Mind Not On Task, Balance/Traction/Grip

What Critical Error Reduction Technique(s) may have prevented the incident?
Work on Habits - stack the product so it is secure and ensure there's proper footing
Self-Trigger on the State - when rushing, watch out for the line-of-fire

Result: Close call!  Thankfully, I only had to clean up product and didn't get hurt!


Use your CERTS to prevent the line-of-fire!  Look at others for the patterns that increase the risk of injury!